You are important too
Who would have ever thought four little words could make such a difference in your life? “I think I’m pregnant.” When she comes to you and tells you she could be pregnant, it’s natural to feel scared, confused, or angry. That’s why we welcome men at our pregnancy center.
When it comes to pregnancy decisions, the choice is ultimately up to her – but you can have a big influence on her decision. If you need help dealing with the realities of an unplanned pregnancy, we’re here to listen and answer your questions regarding your rights and pregnancy options.
Gather the facts
Before you begin worrying about what decision needs to be made, does she know she’s really pregnant? A positive test (including an at-home test) is an indication of pregnancy, but not a confirmation. Here’s what we suggest:
- Bring your partner to Open Door Pregnancy Center for a free and confidential pregnancy test to confirm the results of the test she’s already taken.
- If the test is positive, we will provide a free and confidential ultrasound. An limited obstetrical ultrasound is vital to determine if the pregnancy is viable and the gestational age of the fetus.
- Once you both have the results from the ultrasound, it will be important to have an options consultation to discuss abortion and its alternatives.
- Keep the lines of communication open and commit to making a decision you agree on.
- Listen to the advice of friends and family, but don’t let them make the decision for you.
Support your partner. The responsibility of the decision is greater for her than it is for you. If she is pregnant, her hormones are rapidly changing and she needs your strength.
Stay calm and help research all of your options. She needs to feel heard, respected and to know she is strong enough. Your voice matters so don’t say, “I’ll support whatever you want.” She needs to hear from you. Tell her what you want and then talk it through. Even though you may not be together as a couple, you still have equal responsibility for the outcome.
We’re available for you
At Open Door, our doors are truly open to everyone. You are important to us and we’re here for you. Whether you need a listening ear or welcome advice, we’re available. We have male counselors to talk to and even a Fatherhood Program.
An unplanned pregnancy can leave you feeling surprised, scared, and trapped. Give us a call to understand your options and how we can help you while you help her make the best choice for the future.
All services are free and confidential.